|1||Fuller Coal Mine Carbon, Tipple system, 1920|
Fuller Coal Mine Tipple. During the Fuller tenure, before the rail line came in 1921, the mine opening was down at the bottom of the coulee just to the left in this picture. The mine had a rail system inside the mine where ponies pulled coal cars in and out of the mine at the bottom of the coulee and a cable winch system driven by horses pulled the cars on a small rail system up the hill to a tipple which dumped the coal into horse drawn wagons. The little rail cars were loaded inside the mine and pulled out by small ponies (Babe Fuller was a Pony driver). At that point the small rail cars were hitched to the winch cable and pulled up the hill on a small rail way and this picture clearly shows the horses at the top of the hill walking around and pulling the cars up the hill.
|2||Working on the mine area - new railway spur line|
|3||Getting ready for new mine system|
Preparing the area to add a rail spur into the Fuller Mine area after the main CPR rail line came through the valley in 1921 specifically to pick up coal from the area.
According to Babe Fuller, his father, Charles W. Fuller mortgaged the farm and used the money to build this spur off the main line in about 1921/2 and when they started mining from this new mine entrance into the Fuller mine. they found that the coal seam that existed through the old entrance did not extend to the new entrance.
The life that Charles and Grace had built over time ended and they then put their energy into the Minors Rooming House, which was run by Grace and her girls.
|4||Building the Rail Spur to the old Fuller Coal Mine|
|5||Old Fuller Mine after rail spur|
Picture shows the Fuller Mine after the rail spur was added.
|6||Old Fuller Coal Mine after rail spur and Fuller Rooming House can be seen on the flats|
This is a picture of the new entrance to the Fuller mine after the rail spur was functional.
Also you can see the two story building in the background. This was the Fuller Rooming House where Grace and her girls ran a complete rooming house with rooms and meals for the local miners. The Fuller family members that ere still at home, ate their meals here and during some of the time may have stayed here as well.
|7||Old Fuller mine after the rail spur was built|
Another picture of the Fuller Mine after the rail spur was added.
|8||Old Fuller mine area in 2010|
|9||Fuller, Charles Woodman, Fuller Mine|
Fuller Mine Location - Mine #749 located under LSD 15 of NE 11-29-23 W4
Also the Fuller House for mining operations was located at LSD 13 of NE 11-29-23 W4 as indicated by Belle Fuller Vaughan, daughter of Charles and Grace Fuller
|10||Carbon Coal Miners|
|11||Carbon, Mine Ponies|
Babe Fuller's job at the mine was to drive a team of ponies pulling empty coal cars into the mine, dropping one off in each room and then pulling the little cars full of coal back out of the mine.
Babe said the he was never injured in the mine, the ponies were smart and kept him safe.
|12||Carbon Coal Mine No. 749, Rail Spur|
The old Fuller Coal Mine No. 749 Carbon, Alberta Diagram shows the Mine shafts and tunnels within the mine as well as the openings. You can see that the mine tunnels are beneath the ground and stretch to both sides of the coulee. The pictures are taken from the right side of the coulee looking down towards the creek. The location of the rail spur has been drawn into the picture.
|13||Carbon Area Coal Mines|
This map from the 'Carbon - Our History and Heritage' book printed in 1986, shows where each mine is located in relation to the Town of Carbon, the Kneehill Creek and the CPR Rail Line and in addition to the LSD location. Note that the Fuller Mine was located in Section 11 about two miles from town.
|14||Fuller Coal Mine, Carbon, Alberta, Canada|
History of the Fuller Mine #749
|15||Fuller, Paul and Ned - Allen Fuller's Boys |
Paul (about 6) and Ned (about 4) on this Coal mine train, driven by Frenchy.
The larger Coal Mines had these small trains to take empty coal cars into the mine and bring out ones full of coal.
|16||Fullers hauling coal, about 1920|
Great picture of a team of horses hauling coal from the Fuller Mine.
|17||Fuller, Charles Woodman Farm/Ranch Land |
The Fuller Farm/Ranch was in fact Charles W.'s homestead located at the NW 1/4 of Section 2, Tsp 29, Rg 23, W4 meridian. Three of Charles' children homesteaded the other 3 quarters of Section 2:
NE 1/4 - His son Allen
SE 1/4 - his son Jesse
SW 1/4 - his daughter Anne and her husband Norman McClellan
This map show that the Farm was about 1 mile south of the land above the mine, where the family lived part of the time and Harry and his new wife Nellie lived there for awhile after they were married.
The Fuller family often hauled a load of coal and sold it at the Calgary market, some 100 kilometers one away. They then bought supplies needed for the mine or farm. This included barrels of food such as dried fruit, flour, oats, and other dry goods as well as clothing, etc.
|Linked to||Family: Fuller/Déchanet (F7)|